The Hipster Brigade
Tuesday, July 01, 2003
 
brand new awakening

mountain air does something to you. when you get back to lower elevations, you realize how deep your breaths become. you realize how much easier it is to do work with full lung capacity. how much faster you can get things done. how your head isn't floating. when i was there at 7500 feet altitude, i never thought once i had shallow breaths or that anything was wrong with me, but today at the library i could feel a change. i just felt awake. i was shaken out of a daze. a social slump. in otherwords, i was on. i didn't feel like i was floating out of my body and watching myself manuever around the familiar angles and corners and shelves. things seemed new. i was there in my mind.

for a long time, the library wasn't a place i was looking forward to visiting in the morning. i was tired of the predicatability. i was waiting for something to happen. coworkers could tell something was wrong, always commenting, "you look tired, go take a nap, no sleeping on the job." it wasn't that i was tired, it was that i was bored. i started playing games with them and it felt wrong. it made me feel bad to be mean to these people. not mean on the exterior but in the interior i knew i was not being honest. i was taking this job for granted. i just wanted for the days to be over. 2pm, bye bye.

my mom points out to me how boston has given me an ego. that i think i'm high and mighty because i go to an out-of-state college. she's right. i have boughts of elitism in my blood. i can be snotty. the world should bow down to me. i can't help it. being in colorado with other students showed that i'm not that different than other students. that an expensive New England college doesn't make me a better person. it doesn't even make me a more interesting person or a smarter one. it just makes me go on planes six times a year.

roughing it is best for the writer. it gives you raw material and a new way to look at things. this new outlook was what i was looking for in the empty shelves at the library. i needed to wake up. i'll be the first to tell you that i take what i have for granted. i never visited the school of hard knocks. colorado whispered in my ears something i've been longing to hear since i've come home. that what i have is okay, too. that no one is your enemy and only you can decide what to do.

i got out of the corner.
  |


<< Home
Laying the foundation for grown-up fairy tales since November 2001.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Nerd. Collector. Haiku Writer. Knee sock wearer. Umbrella holder. Polaroid taker. Photobooth sitter. Casual gamer.

LINKS
Fiction, Photography & Poetry / David Frost prints / Green Tea / MAF / N&N? / 1FaceLife / Justin Why / Rainy Days / Angels in Alcatraz

SUPPORT DIY
My My / Persephassa / Freckle Wonder / My Paper Crane

ARCHIVES
November 2001 / December 2001 / January 2002 / February 2002 / March 2002 / April 2002 / May 2002 / June 2002 / July 2002 / October 2002 / November 2002 / December 2002 / January 2003 / February 2003 / March 2003 / April 2003 / May 2003 / June 2003 / July 2003 / August 2003 / September 2003 / October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / March 2005 /


Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Site Meter





< ? bostonites # >