The Hipster Brigade
Sunday, August 31, 2003
 
through the looking glass

last year my window looked out to four brick walls. i was surrounded by six other windows -- the poor man's television. just across the way i could see his face at his computer. i was tempted to write notes for him on my window, "i am watching you," one would say or "how's the action?" he had a girlfriend and i simply saw none of the action.

to my left there was a fisher college window. two obnoxious boys blaring tejano and rap at all hours of the day, most likely when i was about to take a nap. i don't miss them one bit. even if they complimented my ass once.

when i picked this year's room, i picked it for the window. i didn't care how packed in the room we would be, i wanted to be able to see the rain and the snow and wake up to the smell of sunshine. i wanted the window to my self. my roommate wanted to share. this was not going to work.

when i got the call about my single this summer. i was ecstatic. my own window. the first question i asked, "does the window have a view?" she told me that it overlooked the boston common. flashbacks of freshman year when my window overlooked the beacon hill skyline and the angel in the park.

she turns on every light in her apartment as soon as it gets too dark to see. she scratches her thigh and i can tell she's pretty. i've been watching her for days now. she goes out on the weekend and only the bedroom lights stay on. she stays in during the week and i only see glimpses of her from one room to the next.

at 4:30 am, i can hear seagulls outside my window. never just birds, only seagulls. the dog barks at the trashman. car alarms throughout the day. drunk college kids yelling some incoherent psycho babble. operas. it's all outside my window.

i figure if i don't feel like going outside, i can live through my window. it brings everything to me.


  |


<< Home
Laying the foundation for grown-up fairy tales since November 2001.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Nerd. Collector. Haiku Writer. Knee sock wearer. Umbrella holder. Polaroid taker. Photobooth sitter. Casual gamer.

LINKS
Fiction, Photography & Poetry / David Frost prints / Green Tea / MAF / N&N? / 1FaceLife / Justin Why / Rainy Days / Angels in Alcatraz

SUPPORT DIY
My My / Persephassa / Freckle Wonder / My Paper Crane

ARCHIVES
November 2001 / December 2001 / January 2002 / February 2002 / March 2002 / April 2002 / May 2002 / June 2002 / July 2002 / October 2002 / November 2002 / December 2002 / January 2003 / February 2003 / March 2003 / April 2003 / May 2003 / June 2003 / July 2003 / August 2003 / September 2003 / October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / March 2005 /


Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Site Meter





< ? bostonites # >