The Hipster Brigade
Wednesday, September 24, 2003
 
the tale of the photo booth

my mother never liked having her picture taken. she would always shy away from the camera. the most recent photo i have of her was stolen out of her desk, taken two years ago, when she was doing the teacher stint. everything is from a long time ago when there are a thousand pictures of me just sitting or staring or standing or playing or brooding. my sister had rare visits with the camera but her's are magical -- tutus, stuffed animals, crying at her own birthday party.

my dad had to move away to washington when i was seven years old. we took a polaroid of him, so i wouldn't forget what he looked like. he's standing in his white naval uniform. that's the way i like to think of my dad now fifteen years later -- an important man in a nice suit. my mom always told me she liked that uniform, and i liked wearing his hat.

sophomore year of high school, i remember being disappointed i was barely in the yearbook. i'm hiding behind a book or smiling jaggedly at the camera. i never looked like i was at the right place. a misfit. i was voted, "most likable." senior year, i plastered my face on every page since i was on the yearbook. i knew this would be the last time i would belong in any place. i wanted to be remembered.

my high school has a wall of all the graduation photos. i remember spending the afternoons staring at the older ones to the newest -- picking out the people i would never see again. each year i lost someone. i loved seeing the dresses -- it was my version of watching the Oscars. i picked my dress out the day of graduation -- black sleeveless with shooting stars and moons -- it was my grandma's beach dress. everyone looked like cinderella at the ball and i looked like i was ready to play volley ball.

i used to carry around my photo albums to show people. strangers. anyone that would look. they were all pictures of me with various rock stars. i couldn't have been more proud to say that i had met reel big fish, smashing pumpkins, less than jake or the gadjits. it's funny how i keep them in the closet now. just memories of a time i can't relive.

now, there are photo booths. i can't help but want to be inside one when i walk by. i crave the attention of the lens. once instead i forget about the poses i have prepared and end up doing the same blank stare at the camera. i stare at the strips for hours.







  |


<< Home
Laying the foundation for grown-up fairy tales since November 2001.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Nerd. Collector. Haiku Writer. Knee sock wearer. Umbrella holder. Polaroid taker. Photobooth sitter. Casual gamer.

LINKS
Fiction, Photography & Poetry / David Frost prints / Green Tea / MAF / N&N? / 1FaceLife / Justin Why / Rainy Days / Angels in Alcatraz

SUPPORT DIY
My My / Persephassa / Freckle Wonder / My Paper Crane

ARCHIVES
November 2001 / December 2001 / January 2002 / February 2002 / March 2002 / April 2002 / May 2002 / June 2002 / July 2002 / October 2002 / November 2002 / December 2002 / January 2003 / February 2003 / March 2003 / April 2003 / May 2003 / June 2003 / July 2003 / August 2003 / September 2003 / October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / March 2005 /


Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Site Meter





< ? bostonites # >