The Hipster Brigade
Wednesday, September 10, 2003
 
you look just like josh hartnett but less manly

he was ten when i first met him and i was fourteen. he was part of the small circle of friends i had in junior high. keep in mind that i went to a school with about eighteen kids total in the upper elementary. i was always the oldest.

he used to play Magic the Gathering with my best friend's boyfriend. he collected X-Files cards and gave me the David Duchovny doubles. his older cousin got him into God Lives Underwater and we'd listen to it on repeat afterschool. he liked legos and it goes without saying that he could fix all the computers in the school.

once he called me to set me up with his cousin. he kept "accidentally" hanging the phone up on me and than calling back. we only talked once and than i never heard from his cousin again. he was trouble, i remember him saying.
____________________________________

later, we would talk about our love for cats and Hayao Miyazaki films. he'd carry, at least, ten assorted different books with him at all times. his laptop was always at his side. at parties he would force us into the backroom to listen to J-Pop till our ears bled and we couldn't forget the lyrics. while i slept at parties, my friends would make amateur kung foo movies. he always got hurt trying out some stunt for the first time. blood didn't scare him though.
____________________________________

it was my last summer in texas, he was fifteen and i was nineteen. he had grown taller and lankier, but his friends would make him show off his abs and everytime he would blush. out of boredom he did sit ups everyday, so you see what exercise can do for you.

i'm not sure what happened that night but we ended up passing notes, too shy to say, "i think you're cute." everyone else occupied with the actual party or watching Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, we stayed up all night too afraid to fall asleep next to each other. we kept waking up and watching the other one sleep.

i had really wanted to kiss him that night.

then he just started calling, emailing and asking to see me.

However, I like talking on the phone more with you, because it's nice to hear your voice. That sounds a little sappy, but it's true. When I hear you talking on the phone, I can think "That's Diana! I like her and she likes me!" and then usually I think about all the great things about you and how wonderful it is to talk to you and then usually I say something like "Uhm..." That's as much as I can write now because I've got to go buy a board for my
science project. I'll talk about that spectacular failure next time.


we would spend hours on the phone since neither one of us could drive. he would play strange new songs for me over the phone or read me passages from his books. he tried to not talk about computers but inevitably he would nerd talk to me and i'd zone out for hours just listening to his voice.
___________________________________

our first kiss was in a church. while everyone else danced, we sat in the pews and he whispered dirty things in my ear as he coaxed me out of my bra. his hands on my breasts and his tongue in my mouth. i'm certainly end up in hell for this one.

he tasted like pepsi during our second kiss. it was in the library on a sunday. i'd invited him to help me organize the books on tape in the children's section. i was an innocent thing then and maybe it was him that made me realize how erotic a library could really be.
___________________________________

he knew it would come to an end. he called us on our six month anniversary and i had no idea what he talking about. i played along as i twisted my hair around my fore fingers and came up with an excuse to say goodbye. i didn't want to see him or belong to him anymore. college was my get-out-of-jail-free card. he still wanted me and i wanted to be by myself.

he came me a charm bracelet and i called him on his birthday in november.

he was my first and last boyfriend. sometimes i wish what would have happened if i'd never dumped him. he's the sort of boy that i see myself with in ten years.
  |


<< Home
Laying the foundation for grown-up fairy tales since November 2001.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Nerd. Collector. Haiku Writer. Knee sock wearer. Umbrella holder. Polaroid taker. Photobooth sitter. Casual gamer.

LINKS
Fiction, Photography & Poetry / David Frost prints / Green Tea / MAF / N&N? / 1FaceLife / Justin Why / Rainy Days / Angels in Alcatraz

SUPPORT DIY
My My / Persephassa / Freckle Wonder / My Paper Crane

ARCHIVES
November 2001 / December 2001 / January 2002 / February 2002 / March 2002 / April 2002 / May 2002 / June 2002 / July 2002 / October 2002 / November 2002 / December 2002 / January 2003 / February 2003 / March 2003 / April 2003 / May 2003 / June 2003 / July 2003 / August 2003 / September 2003 / October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / March 2005 /


Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Site Meter





< ? bostonites # >